kayak Glow Worm Tours
December - February start and finish times approx. 6/6.30pm to 9.30/10.30pm
March/April start and finish times approx. 4/5pm to 8/9pm
PRICE: $109 pp.
PRIVATE TOUR: $149 pp. Minimum 4 people (please contact us if less than 4 people)
Paddle along the southern edge of Lake Karapiro, over the old submerged Horahora Dam that produced electricity for the early Waihi goldfields. Learn the history of the Horahora village and enjoy the twilight & silence of being on the water as the day draws to an end.
As night arrives over the lake , paddle slowly up the Pokaiwhenua Stream and through the canyon carved out by water over many hundreds of years. Native ferns & trees drape over you, bird life is all around.
When darkness falls we float silently back downstream, being guided by the glow worms on either side sparkling like Christmas lights.
- To ensure space is available - bookings are essential
- Minimum numbers apply
- Minimum age is 8 years
- All children under 15 to be accompanied by a capable adult
NOTE: Lake District Adventures has a zero alcohol & smoking policy on Glow Worm tours.
Stay and Play
Come along an enjoy the spectacular 'Kayak Glowworm Tour' with the benefit of staying where you play! Enjoy the stars after your tour and the amazing view of the lake when you wake in the morning.
- 1 night accommodation and a substantial continental breakfast at Lake Edge B'n'B
- Kayak Glowworm Tour
$349 for 2 people (save $30)
Upgrade to the Ultimate 'Stay and Play'
- Private Glowworm Tour
- Bike Hire and Shuttle on the Waikato River Trail
- 1 night accommodation and substantial continental breakfast at Lake Edge B'n'B
$495 for 2 people (save over $50)
Contact us for availability and bookings
NEED TO KNOW!
Evening temperatures drop as we drift back downstream... so please remember:
- Bring warm layers of clothing - preferably not cotton
- NO JEANS - they get very cold when wet
- We provide overpants, splash jackets & wetshoes
- We have a changing area & secure storage
- Cameras are okay for going upstream while it's still light - they are no good after dark as the flash will spoil the viewing of the Glow Worms for yourself and others on the tour.