kayak Glow Worm Tours
Just 15 minutes from Cambridge, 45 minutes from Rotorua, 45 mins from Tauranga - your adventure begins late afternoon / early evening at Lake District Adventures' base in South Waikato. Paddle along the southern edge of Lake Karapiro, over the old submerged Horahora Dam that produced electricity for the early Waihi goldfields.
Learn the history of the Horahora village and enjoy the twilight & silence of being on the water as the day draws to an end.
As night arrives over the lake , paddle slowly up the Pokaiwhenua Stream and through the canyon carved out by water over many hundreds of years. Native ferns & trees drape over you, bird life is all around.
When darkness falls we float silently back downstream, being guided by the glow worms on either side sparkling like Christmas lights.
- To ensure space is available - bookings are essential
- Minimum numbers apply
- Minimum age is 8 years
- All children under 15 to be accompanied by a capable adult
PRICE: $109 pp. Group discounts available for 8+ people.
PRIVATE TOUR: $149 pp. Minimum 4 people (please contact us if less than 4 people).
NOTE: Lake District Adventures has a zero alcohol & smoking policy on Glow Worm tours.
NEED TO KNOW!
Evening temperatures drop as we drift back downstream... so please remember:
- Bring warm layers of clothing - preferably not cotton
- NO JEANS - they get very cold when wet
- We provide overpants, splash jackets & wetshoes
- We have a changing area & secure storage
- Cameras are okay for going upstream while it's still light - they are no good after dark as the flash will spoil the viewing of the Glow Worms for yourself and others on the tour.